1st Place, Front Page – Newsmagazine Style
2021-22, Division 4-5, News Design & Info Graphic
By Kaitelyn Walker
ND-04. Front Page/Newsmagazine Style
What does “Newspaper Style” And “Newsmagazine Style” mean for front page design? Learn more and see examples. Any front page of a print periodical can be entered into this category — regardless of page size. The entry should share more visual similarities with a traditional magazine cover than a traditional newspaper front page.
Page contains nameplate and references to inside stories. Page generates reader interest and uses effective photos and/or artwork. Page will be evaluated for overall use of space. Entries must have appeared in a print newspaper or magazine. Submit a PDF of the print page.
- Attractive nameplate, harmonizes with design, includes date, issue, volume, school, city, and state
- Cover should be considered work of art
- Strongly relate to the inside contents
- Maintains visual interest
- Cover illustration (if used) may be compelling in size with a possible teaser headline depicting the mood of the story
- Photos effectively cropped, of varied size, shape, emphasizing action
- Cover can refer readers to inside pages