Division MS, Yearbook Visual and Verbal
Y-31. Division Pages
One set of all division pages. FOR THE ENTRY TITLE, use your theme. You may include a brief description of your theme in the Additional Information field. LIMIT ONE ENTRY PER SCHOOL. Submit up to 10 PDF or image files of division page(s). Please note: All files must together total 100 MB or less.
FOR SPREADS (a spread is two facing pages), if possible save your entry as a spread, creating a single horizontal page out of two vertical pages. Otherwise, the judges may not see both pages of your spread together and will not get the full impact of your design. Contiguous pages should be submitted in a single PDF file.
- Designs are fresh and contemporary, setting them apart from standard designs of the interior pages, but are similar to each other and continue the visual theme design statement used on the cover and opening and closing pages.
- Photos, copy, captions, headlines and white space are arranged to introduce reader to contents of section
- Designs carry elements of theme concept
- While designs may be innovative, they adhere to journalistic guidelines and show evidence of careful planning
- Copy has engaging angle, solid lead and, if used, meaningful student quotes that enrich story and reflect effective interviewing; it continues the tone established in opening copy
- Copy should provide examples of events, circumstances specific to this school, this school year
- Captions begin with strong lead and contain at least two sentences that answer all reader’s questions and clearly identifies all people
- Copy and captions show evidence of adequate research
- Clever, engaging headline that draws reader into story and establishes visual/verbal connection between photos and copy
Adheres to rules of good journalism including:
- use of active voice
- freedom from editorial comment
- careful editing and proofreading
- correct use of grammar
- *For more details, see complete criteria for categories 1, 8, 9 and 10