By Hemanth Tavane Shivakumar
The Cougar Star
Division MS, News Photography
PH-05. Photo Story
A photo story is a coherent group of interrelated photographs that report on a person, place, event, issue, concept, etc. It requires thoughtful curation of images to tell a cohesive story, going beyond a simple album or gallery. Each entry should include at least five different shots. It must include a headline and captions and may include copy. Judging will be on the quality of the photography and overall impact of the storytelling. Individual photographs submitted as part of a photo story may be submitted into other photography categories. Entries must have been published via a newspaper, newsmagazine, news website or news program social media account. Submit a PDF of the print newspaper or magazine page(s) on which the photo story was published or a URL as published online.
- Story includes least five photos on related theme; pictures work together to tell the story
- Shots are varied and demonstrate appropriate use of wide, medium and closeup shots, portraits, action shots, detail shots, etc., to tell the story.
- Photos are arranged in a logical order, with attention given to a shot to set the scene and a closing shot to end the story.
- Effective cropping to center of interest
- Clear, sharp details
- Good, sharp contrast with varied levels of grays, black and white or colors
- Attracts, holds reader’s attention
- Avoids distracting back/foreground
- Headline and captions are evident